August will see the arrival of newborn lambs on many farms across the district. A favourite time of year for many.
Farmers will ensure the stock have adequate feed to meet their nutritional requirements. We are all crossing our fingers in the lead up to the weekend, with the possibility of rain on the horizon. A good shower would make life a lot easier when these babies hit the ground.
There are several breeds of sheep in the district, here at home we breed Merino sheep.
What takes place before lambing? Check out our timeframes and statistics…
- The ewes are brought into the same padock as the rams for servicing
- 3,800 ewes were joined in March
- From the age of 2, the ewes become first time mothers
- Ewes gestational period is 150 days
- 70 to 100 days after joining, scanning was carried out on all our ewes
- We were fortunate enough to see some great results from the scanning and look forward to a particularly good lambing season.
- We have scanned approximately 55% twins
- 48% scanned single
- 7% scanned empty
Keep posted for pics of our new arrivals later in the month!
Benn is wearing Bisley's new 1/4 Zip Fleece Pullover and Bisley Industrial jeans.